Saturday, November 24, 2012

Jessica Bakes a Cake. (Yes, this really happened.)

Ok, so here is Pinterest recipe attempt number two. This weekend I decided to make a Strawberry Lemonade Layer Cake. First, I never really baked a cake before. This one was still out of a box, but I still think that counts. I did actually make the icing so I guess that is also a step in the right direction. Second, my pics are still crappy because I was too lazy to use my good camera.
 
As always....here is what the cake is "supposed" to look like :)

INGREDIENTS:
  • One box of strawberry cake mix (plus oil, water and eggs as directed on box)
  • 8oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese (softened to room temp.)
  • 1 packet (0.23oz.) of Kool-Aid Lemonade
  • Yellow food coloring gel (as desired for color)
  • 2cups Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
  • 8 oz. Cool Whip Topping
  • Fresh strawberries to garnish.
DIRECTIONS:
  • Make cake according to box and bake in 2- 9 inch round cake pans as directed. Turn finished cakes over on cake racks and allow to cool completely.
 
What a surprise! I do not own a cooling rack. This is how they cooled and it was perfectly fine.
  • Cream together cream cheese, lemonade and yellow food coloring until smooth.
  • Mix marshmallow creme in and then mix in Cool Whip until completely smooth. Refrigerate until cake is cooled and cut.
  • Cut each cake layer in half.
  • Alternating layers of cake with layers of filling, assemble cake. End with layer of filling.
  • Top with sliced strawberries.
  • Refrigerate and serve chilled.
I did a couple things differently. I used pink lemonade mix for the icing. I guess people went crazy for some lemonade Kool-Aid this weekend because there was absolutely NONE at the store. I did not use yellow food coloring because the pink lemonade obviously turned the icing pink and I thought adding yellow to that would be a little odd. Also, I did not cut each layer in half for two reasons: 1. Because I'm a spaz. and 2. Because I was advised by several people that since I am not an experienced cake baker I should probably hold off on that for a little while. Overall, the cake was very good. It is very refreshing and light. It would be something good to bring to a BBQ or just for a yummy treat on a hot summer day. It was very "lemony". I LOVEEE me some lemon so I didn't mind. But for people who aren't into lemon that much I would recommend using less lemonade mix...maybe half a packet. So....here is the end result! Not so bad if I do say so myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment